Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Dilemma of Obsessive TV Watching

For those of you who read a lot or like to watch an entire tv series in like 2 months, you will know where I am coming from. I just recently finished the Gilmore Girls series, which I have been watching religiously for the past month and a half, and as soon as the final episode ended, I felt like a part of my life had come to a close. It's weird, but I do not think that everyone realizes how engrossed they become in the lives of the characters of books and tv because this is not the first time I have experienced this voidness. Several times after finishing a novel--especially one written by Sophia Kinsella or Jane Austen--I had a slither of sorrow encompass me and I wanted so bad to re-open my book and find just one more chapter. And I think it's worst with series. When you are apart of something like the Shopaholic series, Darth Bane series or Twilight--for those of you who are obsessed--it is more like letting go of a best friend than having a small part of you disappear for a little while. Because most of the time, you will finish a novel and a couple weeks later, you will find another amazing story to lose yourself in; however, when you reach the end of a series, it's really the end and it becomes harder to find a better series to defeat the magnificence of the previous one.
Ok, so you guys have probably stopped reading this or exclaiming to yourselves that I am a total nerd, that's cool. I know I am a little weird and I know that most of you are not going to understand the craziness that I speak of, but that's all right too. Just as long as I keep you entertained, that's all that matters.
So back to my topic....
So I feel as if the same feeling will occur when TV series like Dexter, Gossip Girl, No Ordinary Family and Glee finally go off the aire. So does anyone know what I am talking about?

2 comments:

  1. I can definitely relate to the feeling of voidness once the series ends. I hear you for sure.. I also wonder if it is a way to enmesh yourself in another persons life so you don't focus on your own.. Like a defence mechanism..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also REALLY relate with what you're talking about. And...I'm beginning to wonder if it's clinical for me. I've ALWAYS been obsessed with stories. Almost every child loves to repeat stories over and over, but as I a grew up...the behavior didn't go away. And as I've coped with the anxiety that has resulted from a severe but non-fatal chronic illness--it has worsened. I started Grey's Anatomy about seven months ago and finished it about three months ago...and I JUST HAD to watch it again. I couldn't let go of the characters. And now I wonder...is this compulsive?

    Do you ever feel like you have no control over your relationship with a series? Like you just can't stop reading or watching no matter how hard you try?

    ReplyDelete